Saturday, October 13, 2012

Midterms(?) and Ruca Mapuche

Wow, for some reason it has felt like a long time since an update. Since my last post, I've been flooded with in class exams and take home exams, leaving me little time for much else. I guess I could call them midterms,but I feel like each class has a different structure to when they give tests. Some of my friends had exams within the first few weeks or month,while I didn't have anything until 2 months after the semester!It's so weird,because I'm used to the incredibly fast paced quarter system. The midterm for my Political Processes in Latin America was definitely the toughest. It basically ended up being 12 pages of analyzing the six political regimes of South/Central America. Writing it made me excited about how much I had learned,but at the same time it completely frustrated me. The professor, who is not from the U.S. like I thought before but from Canada,gave the option of writing it in English.He even said "I know you all came here determined to learn and practice Spanish,but this test is not the place to do it."That comment kind of annoyed me,but at the same time I understand how the T.A.s here want to do context checks instead of grammar checks.My class is full of foreigners,so I'm sure they've had this issue in past semesters.Even so, I opted for Spanish,because in our program our grades go through the program director,who has the final say. He'll take into account the fact that you wrote something in Spanish even when there was an English option. So it seemed worth it to me to suck it up and write in Spanish, not only for the challenge but  also for the possible grade boost. But anyway enough about studying and more about abroading...
Every couple of weekends my program offers all-inclusive day excursions to the first X number of people to reply to the email for the activity, depending on each one's capacity. So last Saturday my program brought a handful of us to a Mapuche house, or "ruca."  
For a quick lesson, the Mapuche are the biggest indigenous group in Chile.Their  name means "people of the earth," because mapu=earth and che=people. The majority of them in Chile are based farther south, with a population in Argentina as well. Luckily, this ruca is only about an hour outside of Santiago set up especilly for cultural presentations.I guess there are usually outdoor activities,but due to the crazy downpour, we were inside the whole day. I didn`t mind,because we had a warm fire and plenty of tea,coffee,and food the whole time. I had second breakfast there,which consisted of fresh fruit,rolls,and the best homemade sopaipillas in the world! Usually they are more hollow, fried circles of dough,about the size of the circle your hands would make touching your pointer fingers and thumbs together. But these ones were denser and had less of a greasy taste.Needless to say everyone went back for seconds,thirds, and ok maybe fourths.After breakfast we had a presentation on Mapuche history, which reminds me a bit of the Native American situation in the U.S. a.k.a. getting a very bad end of the deal on land and rights thanks to invaders and government. That`s not to say the Mapuche`s didn`t fight back. They had a few heroes of their own, like Toki Lautoro below. This epic photo was displayed in the ruca.

More recently there have been serious issues with the government developing on Mapuche`s land. The man giving the presentation was obviosuly very passionate about the issue,so I was getting a biased,but still very informative perspective. After that we learned more about Mapuche medicinal practices. What I found interesting was that they even have their own psychologists, for emotional support. They also showed us the Mapuche flag and described the meaning of each color and symbol on it. After that, even though I was still pretty full from breakfast, they laid out an amazing lunch for us. There was salad,some kind of pork, a bean stew, and  more sopaipillas...it was the perfect food for a rainy day! 
Inside the Ruca. This type of floor is not typical

Delicious lunch!

Our day finished with dancing,my favorite! We separted into two lines facing each other. Then they started playing these cool instruments and banging drums. We danced(actually it was more of a rhytmic hopping)towards each other, chanted, separated, then repeated that for about 5 minutes.We probably looked a little silly, because we weren't given much instruction. In the real dance(not our gringo version) they told us it can last up to 2 hours! 
This visit made me realize how little I know about the Native American culture within the U.S. Sure there was the basic info from history classes, but the actual historical and cultural distinction between the tribes is honestly a blur to me. I feel a need to look into that more, partly out of curiosity and partly out of not wanting to be put on the spot without a clue. That has happened more than once. An example: my host mom asked me if the jail sentence is longer for people who smuggle drugs or smuggle people across the border. Yeah sure that's a pretty specific question, but it  still makes me consider that there may be information on the U.S. that I don't ever consider, but people here would expect to be common knowledge. Now I know it's true that studying abroad in another country is actually one of the best ways to learn about your own country! So go abroad mi amigos! Chao for now!
p.s. This is kind of unrelated to this post, but I just wanted to share a picture of an awesome dessert my host mom helped me make for a dessert party a couple EAP friends hosted. It was peanut butter,dulce de leche, manjar( the product of boiled dulce de leche), cocoa powder, and a splash of pisco all rolled into a cake and topped with more dulce de leche,chocolate syrup, and chocolate chips. Honestly this tasty creation took about 10 minutes to make and it was probably gone in about the same amount of time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment