Sunday, March 10, 2013

Second Semester

Hello Folks!
So after an amazing summer it's back to school. I feel so lucky to have spent a summer in Chile(and Peru!) and create such a variety of memories in such distinct places. Even more, it's amazing that over 8 months have past and there are only 4 to go! I say only, because time certainly flies by here...so 4 months feels very little to me.
Before I jump into describing this semester, here's a photo recap of my summer. One photo for each adventure doesn't do them justice, but you get the idea...
Inka Trail to Machu Picchu with Claire

Couchsurfing in Valparaiso for New Years.All these people in one house!

Proyecta UC-The playground we built for the kids of Quilico

Help Exchange in Maintencillo-This family basically adopted me!

Backpacking the Circuit in Torres del Paine with my Dad

Now, here comes second semester...As far as class load, this semester is equal to the last. I'm taking a course on Latin American Geography, Chilean and Hispanic Theatre, and a  Latin American of the 20th century seminary. I'm very happy to say it's already much easier to follow along with classes. That's especially good for my Chilean Theatre class, since my very enthusiastic professor rambles on and uses a lot of chilenismos(Chilean slang).
I'm also on board to do an internship at CIAMI(translated-Integrated Center of Attention to Migrants)which I'm getting excited since I kind of sought it out myself. Our study abroad office usually has a list of internships, but I heard about this place off the record from a doctorate student I met doing her Fulbright research on immigration here. My first day is this Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes!
My living situation is also really different this semester. I found a house that is shared by international students here on typically a semester basis. The majority of my housemates are from France actually. Since they don't speak much English and I can't speak any French(not counting oui and merci), Spanish is the shared language!  It's also a great location, right by a metro station, two parks, and a fruit and veggie market every Thursday and Sunday. I'm also getting used to cooking for myself and doing my own laundry  again. Certainly different from living with a family and having all my meals and laundry done! On Friday, we had a merged welcome party for the people in my house and another house a couple blocks down. There ended up being people from France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, England, Mexico, Germany, Ireland and Chile of course. As far as I knew, I was the only American there!
At this point, I am definitely  in a new phase of my study abroad experience. I am used to living in this country, especially in Santiago. I can navigate some bus routes in my sleep. I have traveled far north(San Pedro de Atacama) and far South(Patagonia). I understand the concept of Chilean time and shrug it off when professors don't show up to class without warning. Is it the end of everything fresh and exciting? Absolutely not! I continue to search for new experiences, whether it be a different internship or a living situation. A little routine is important (go to class!), but it's also important to surprise yourself even in a familiar environment. That's a mindset I hope to bring back and use the rest of my life.
Chao for now!
p.s. My mom comes next Saturday!! I'm getting excited! There is something so wonderful about showing Santiago to a fresh pair of eyes.




2 comments:

  1. There is always something wonderful about sharing something with someone for the first time. In a lot of peoples' lives it comes when things they have experienced are viewed through the eyes of their children. You have had the wonderful experience of being there yourself then sharing it with your Dad and now your Mom. We too are very proud of you and glad you are having such a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli: What a great experience to live with people from other countries. You have truly expended your horizons. Your work with CIAM sounds very interesting. Any news on the Fulbright application? Mucho love, Dad

    ReplyDelete