Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Best Piece of Paper in The World

Welcome to the blog!I thought this would be a nice place for family,friends, and people who are considering studying abroad to check out. I personally really found a lot of benefit looking into other's travel blogs,because each one has a unique, honest perspective. I got my Visa yesterday(June 8),so it just felt right to start with an intro post to my Chilean study abroad. After months of running around getting all the paperwork,checkups, and what not the actual visit to the L.A.  consulate was pretty quick. The whole thing took less than half an hour and the Chilean visa lady was super sweet.She remembered me from just a couple phone conversations. Then it was just  sign here, here, and here.Fingerprint there and there. Boom done. Here's your Visa.Wow. After I put it in my purse I checked it about 10 times on the drive home, just to make sure it was still there. Of course it was! It just didn't feel real. Before, when I told people I'm going to Chile, those words felt strange and uncertain to me.But now that I have it, I know this is happening. 
So for those who need a recap, here's the basic lowdown of my time in Santiago,Chile...I applied for the fall program and found out about an extension option for the year, so I jumped at the opportunity(after just  a bit of consideration maybe haha...) I've heard people who go to study abroad just getting comfortable after 6 months with the language and everything...but then they have to leave. So I'm going to take the opportunity to seriously  work on my Spanish and embrace Chilean culture (like how I kinda snuck in the blog title? how clever of me!) Next time you hear from me I'll be in Chile!In the next two weeks, I'll be enjoying the company of family,friends,and the California sun(it's winter in Chile now and will be till about November. brrrrr!). Hasta luego!


p.s. Funny side story-When I was waiting at the consulate I was telling another woman in the waiting room the bathroom was locked. "Aquí," she said. "Where?," I asked wondering what exactly was "here(aquí)." After a moment of confusion she pointed to a bathroom key on the counter...ohhh "A KEY"! Haha, guess I'm already preparing myself to pick up on Spanish rather than English words! 

After I got my Visa. So happy!


1 comment:

  1. Wow Eliza It all sounds so exciting. We are all so proud of you!!!
    Love,
    Mom
    XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete