Monday, June 25, 2012

First Impressions

Hola amigos,
Well I made it! I flew in to Chile yesterday morning after a 5 hour flight to Miami, then another 8 hours to Santiago. oof.Going from the plane, to baggage claim, to immigration and finally the shared van I took kind of felt like a trance...I was pretty tired since I didn't sleep much on the flight. I took the shared van to an apartment of a UCI student who is just finished her year here.We had been in contact through email for a few months, since I had tons of questions about Chile, and she offered up her place for the night which was really nice of her. I also got to meet her old host mom and brother for "once." From what I gather,it's a small meal in the evening,since lunch is typically the biggest meal. We had tea, rolls with ham, jelly, and cheese, and oatmeal with yogurt poured over it...it was actually really tasty! This morning, I took a cab to the "Campus Oriente," which is the part of campus where I'll be doing the Intensive Language Program. It's so beautiful and calm compared to the rest of the city. Santiago is definitely a busy city! I got to meet the other students in my program. Then all the host families showed up to pick us up.We had looks on our faces like preschoolers, waiting to be picked up by our moms! So after that, my host mom took me home, where we had lunch. She even told me I could walk home for lunch,between classes(since the main campus is only two blocks away!) That's so sweet of her!After,she had to go to work,so I have been unpacking and relaxing in my room, which has a view of the Andes!

The campus where I will take classes the first 3 weeks. Muy bonita!


The view from my room.I can see the Andes :)

So, I know this post sounds like the transition has been pretty easy,but I still have a lot to get used to. Speaking and listening to Spanish means I always have to be  attentive,which is mentally exhausting. Then there's other day to day things, like kissing people on the cheek to greet them, grabbing toilet paper before entering the stall, and understanding bus routes that will take some getting used to(also the bus drivers drive crazy fast and take off pretty much right when you get on!) In time, it will become natural. Tomorrow is orientation,Wednesday is our diagnostic exam, and after we leave for  a retreat to Algarrobo, a town on the beach. Exciting events coming my way! Chau!

cosa chilena #1: Apparently there are dogs that live on the streets throughout Santiago. You begin to see the same dogs in the same area,because each has a sort of territory. They're very calm and I guess people around the city feed them.
Uno de los perros de las calles

3 comments:

  1. Eliza:
    Laura and I are really going to enjoy your blog. I love the title, "Embracing Chile." I know you will. It's great that you can see the Andes from your room.Looking forward to pix of the puppies.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Qué emocionante! Tengo celos que tengas una madre de "host". Vas a ser una experta rápidamente. ¡Voy a leer todas las entradas (quiero saber TODOOOOOOOO)! ¡Qué chévere!

    Besos!
    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eliza,
    Clowns in a bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scary!!!
    I love reading your blogs, soooo visual. Hate to tell you but CA is 100+ degrees. I think you'd like it better, but boy it's hot.
    We love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete